Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 185, China day 7

Waking up today was the best since the first day. Sure I have a cold, but it seems minor, just waking up warm and not having to brush my teeth in freezing cold water and also having a regular sit down toilet is the best. We thought the inn would have free breakfast but turns out we booked without it...and if we did want to eat there, it would've cost 7 RMB. So we decided to head out for the art district in Beijing. It's named 798 for a reason I don't know, but the entire district used to be an old factory, there's even some old Cultural Revolution slogans on the side of buildings: Long live the Chinese Communist Party! and Long live Chairman Mao! There is no escaping Chairman Mao here in Beijing at all, especially here in the art district where there's something Mao in every store.
For dinner, we went to some restaurant that was just absolutely terrible. They had a picture menu and everything looked so good, we ordered 3 dishes but when the food came, it looked nothing like the pictures at all. We ordered a bean and meat dish, and in the menu it showed lots of green beans and meat. When it came, it probably had 5, no more than 10 pieces of meat, and the beans seemed wilted.
The second dish was a shrimp, and vegetable one. In the menu, it showed large amounts of shrimp and veggies. Turns out, the shrimp was actually the small, dried out ones, and the vegetables only consisted of chinese melon slices...
And finally, the most misleading thing I've ever seen was the egg and tomato soup. The picture in the menu made it look so good, as usual...it had large amounts of good, think looking broth, vegetables, and egg in it. How disappointed was I when that dish came, it was a small amount of egg and tomato and cucumber slices in hot water...I could've made that in my room by boiling some water in the boiler and throwing in some egg, tomato, and cucumbers. Bottom line, I'm just gonna add that to my long list of worst dinners I've had on this trip, and there's been a lot. There've only been 2 excellent dinners I've had here, on my first night with the Peking duck, and with Su's cousins and family in Tianjin.

Other than that, it was another lazy day, probably because China is winding down and North Korea is coming up. That or Su was tired and didn't want to do anything :P
Anyway, I don't think there'll be too much to write about China anymore besides my final thoughts in the next couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment