Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 189, North Korea day 3

Starting off the day like yesterday, breakfast in the hotel then off to our itinerary again. Except for the fact it's Kim Jong Il's 70th birthday today. The breakfast was good, there was actual fruit, well just apple but it was the first copious amount of fruit I've had in the first 2 weeks.
First up, was the Fountain park. The ride to the park was more interesting than the park itself since we saw many citizens walking en masse in the same direction towards Kim Il Sung square to pay respects to Kim Jong Il. The fountain park is more interesting during the summer when it's actually shooting water and shut off and dry. What came after was surreal though, and something I won't forget from this trip. We headed to Kim Il Sung square afterwards to pay respects to Kim Jong Il. When we got off our bus and made our way up to the front, our group of 20 stopped/cut in front of thousands of people already there so we could pay our respects. I felt like part of a group of foreign diplomats, and we all offered our flowers and then all bowed in unison afterwards. There was no noise or anything, just cameras and the silent thousands behind us. After we walked off, the thousands of people went up and paid their tributes and respects. We took a walk around Kim Il Sung square, which wasn't as big as Tiananmen Square but there was much more ideological items.
The next stop was a visit to the martyr's cemetery where people who fought against the Japanese during the colonial period. Kim Jong Il's mother is interred here along with Kim Il Sung's younger brother. We had to rush this place since much of the group was going off to see a figure skating competition that I didn't want to watch, but I will be watching the military circus in the afternoon though. It was close to noon now, and the roads were full of people with flowers. It's incredible since they block the road and it seemed endless. Arriving at the figure skating thing, I was the only one in my group that didn't go see the skating. Instead, I joined a few people from group A and their guides and we took a stroll down the riverbank and around the area. It was very nice talking to the group A guides Mr. B and Ms. Y. Also had some green tea as well.
Lunch was served back in the hotel and it was good, lots of small things from dumplings to fish. I'll remember it more for the revolving scenic view of Pyongyang though.
The military circus was really fun. The acrobats did spins and flips and whatever other moves they do in an acrobatic circus. it's no Cirque, but I've never seen Cirque before either, but I can say the first time I went to the circus was in Pyongyang, North Korea. After, there was synchronized swimming, but obviously that's not interesting for me, so our good guide Mr. C took us to the department store/supermarket. Let's just say, it was bare inside...it's what you'd expect in North Korea. And the store itself was a third the size of a Superstore in Canada, along with only a third of food as well. If North Koreans walked into a Superstore, they'd be surprised or drop dead from the shock. It wasn't all bad though, Thomas was able to buy a bottle of water, a pack of cookies, 3 packs of cigarettes, and 3 bottles of alcohol for 5 Euros...I can't believe it, you could drink and smoke yourself to death for sure here in North Korea. Dan was able to buy a bottle of Soju for $2 USD. I didn't buy anything though cause I was sick and coughing away, popping in cough drops whenever I could. Damn China made me sick...
We visited the Foreign Languages book store, and it's here you could find practically any book written by the Kims. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an anti-American propaganda poster for Alex. To be honest, I have yet to see any anti-America propaganda poster in public. There just aren't any. Maybe it's because it's ingrained in every Koreans' minds already so no need to have any reminders.
The last stop of the day was to a bowling alley. It didn't just have bowling but it was like a multi purpose fun house. Too bad I'm low on money and couldn't participate...TT
Dinner was at an Austrian coffee shop, but of course we didn't have coffee for dinner, it was the standard meat and vegetables, and also had a nice talk with Thomas.

Ending day 3 with this: It was a very interesting day today, especially the circus and Kim Jong Il memorial at Kim Il Sung square. I don't think I'll ever forget that, just standing in central Pyongyang in front of thousands paying tribute. Also got a glimpse of North Korean regular life and the entertainment they have (the circus, swimming, and skating).

No comments:

Post a Comment