Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 193, North Korea/China day 7

Today the North Korea trip officially ends, but we'll still be taking the train out of the country so technically I'll still see more of North Korea. But by the end of the day, I'll be back in China in the city of Dandong. Finally will get a chance to check emails and jump ahead 20 years to the present again. Finishing the last breakfast in Pyongyang, I really didn't feel anything. In fact, almost everything we ate on this tour, it was almost the same type of set menu: meat, soup, potatoes, fish, rice, and occasionally noodles. There wasn't really anything traditionally Korean besides the bibimbap, some BBQ's, and Pyongyang cold noodles, everything else was completely western. For regular North Koreans, I'm sure what we had can only be considered a dream for them. Taking the train to Dandong was interesting, never took a sleeper car train before but they seem surprisingly roomy. Lots of false stops and go, and when I mean false stop, I mean the train slows down to a stop but then you're jolted from putting the brakes on to stop the train from going backwards, or just jolted going forward...Oh yeah and have I mentioned on how both China and North Korea are very smoky, as in cigarette smoky? I mean you just can't go anywhere in these two countries without someone lighting up a cigarette. I think I've shaved 5-10 years off my life just breathing the air. The ride through the countryside was all right. It's the same what I've seen from the trips to Mt. Myohyang and Kaesong/DMZ. There really isn't anything to see since it's winter and therefore barren land. Any structures look dilapidated but they still stand, haven't seen any collapsed ones. The only buildings that do look nice, are the ones that bear the picture of the Kim's. Going through customs was extremely easy, I was expecting my bag to be thoroughly searched, but our room/cabin wasn't searched at all. A guard just came and collected our customs forms, asked a few questions and that was it. It was a breeze compared to Canada or South Korea, but customs at these places won't take 2 hours since here, it's done by hand, there's no machine or anything. Crossing the bridge from North Korea into China, it was two worlds. Modern buildings and high rises in China, but absolutely none in Sinuiju, North Korea. Upon arrival, our small group who had decided to do a day tour of Dandong, got off here at the station and was greeted by out guide Mr. Shen, who has also been to North Korea over 100 times. That was it for him though, just guide, not spy or direct us. I missed the freedom. I don't need to worry about taking pictures of things and I can go anywhere without being watched. It was great to have a good dinner tonight again, not just the same potatoes, eggs, meat, etc. the dinner was more close to Cantonese cuisine than Northern Chinese. Also, there's lights on everywhere and heat too, no more random blackouts or unheated restaurants anymore!
Tomorrow will be the last official day of this entire trip, I can't say I'm looking forward to the 14 hr overnight train ride though...but after that it's off to Seoul!

Overall, China was ok and North Korea was very good. I would've enjoyed my trips more if it weren't for this cold I picked up in China. I would've enjoyed North Korea so much more if I weren't coughing and blowing my nose almost constantly. But the interesting part is, I barely got any better since I caught it...probably because of all the cigarette smoke I've been constantly inhaling and the fact I haven't eaten a real serving of fruit in 2 weeks. I'll be extremely happy getting back to Seoul, but it might feel weird as in being able to go wherever I want again instead of being watched and told where to go. I'll also miss seeing red letters and such on top of buildings bearing "Long live the 21st century son comrade Kim Jong Il!" or another revolutionary type slogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment