Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 195, North Korea/China day 9

Last post, and it's about the train ride. It wasn't bad at all actually, the bed could've been a little softer and the man above me could've snored a little less, but other than that I slept pretty good. I don't think I'll take an overnight train again though since it's just too long and I've experienced it already so no need to again. Arriving in Beijing in an hour or so and after it's off to the Koryo tours office to repay back some borrowed money. What's next after that is anyone's guess. I think I'll head to the airport, even though my flight won't be for another 7 hours, since I can't do anything dragging my luggage around.
When we arrived at Beijing station, I was rushed off the train by these greedy Chinese men carrying my luggage for me. I didn't want them to since I knew I would have to pay them after, but they refused to listen. Because of those 2 idiots I couldn't say my goodbyes to Eva, Lindis, Neil, or Ian...and it cost me 200 RMB...It's times like these I feel ashamed to be Chinese, we're supposed to be better than greedy con artists aren't we?
After, I made my way to the subway station and had to miss like 10 trains because they were all packed and there was absolutely no room for me or my luggage at all. I was only able to finally get on because one of the platform guides directed me to the front of the train, where it was less crowded. I thank him so much for that! After that, the trains weren't so packed anymore, so it was easy getting to the Koryo office. As I was leaving the offices, I bumped into Lindis who was coming to retrieve her belongings left at the office, so I did get to say my goodbye at least to her.
It's funny how when I'm back in China, I want to get the hell outta here as fast as I can. The biggest lesson i've learned here is say no to anyone not in a police uniform, otherwise you're gonna get scammed. Also, hold onto your luggage at all times, refuse anyone who wants to carry it.

So my final thoughts on China: It was a bittersweet experience. I can't wait to get back to Seoul, where you don't need to put any bags or luggage through an x-ray machine at train stations. Yeah, if I didn't mention that earlier, every station here in Beijing requires you to put any bags or luggage you have through an x-ray machine. Pain in the ass. If I could sum up my first trip to China, those would be the words I'd use, along with Nightmare.

And my final thoughts on North Korea: I enjoyed the trip as much as I could, but there was always the thought of pity in the back of my head for all the people I saw. How could they live in the conditions they do and whole heartedly accept it as the best is anyone's guess, even for the people who've traveled outside the country. How they could come back from China and then go back to their regular lives is amazing. In my honest opinion, I don't really think many are happy with their lives, except for the ones who are very high up in the ruling party or military. The ones who are unhappy can't express it openly, otherwise they'd be sent to the concentration camps. It's my hope, one day that the North is liberated, cause I just don't feel good when I see people who can't live their full potential. Yes, life is unfair, but do these people really deserve this type of life?
And for all the people I know who complain and whine about not having the latest things and trends: Grow up! Take a trip there and then let's see if you keep whining for the latest trends and gadgets. We at least have heated shelters, stocked grocery shelves, electricity, decent public transportation, good health facilities, and freedom. These are just basic needs I listed off, I haven't even listed leisure activities or things we so readily waste and not give a damn about, when it would be considered luxury there. It doesn't make me feel well that we have so much and still somehow find room to complain and whine over sometimes the stupidest things, while they practically have nothing but can't complain or whine at all. They deserve every single right to whine, complain, and do anything and everything. We need to learn to shut up. If anything I've taken away from this trip, it's view the way we live in a whole different perspective. I'm not going to feel sorry or care too much for the West anymore. This trip has just reaffirmed my belief that we are a wasteful society and do no appreciate nor care for the small things we take for granted every day in life.
A small glimmer of hope for the future came from the people themselves. Even after 60 years of separation, they still refer to themselves as Korean, not North Korean or anything, just plain Korean. Some things never change, and in the end that will be extremely good.

I'll end my two weeks of blogging with an interesting story. My luggage was tagged with a customs inspection label upon arrival at Seoul Incheon. As you might expect, I was panicking a little. Had they found my North Korea things?? Turns out, the 3 toy model guns I had bought in China were flagged...thank god, cause if they had seen the North Korean things, I don't know how they would've reacted. Now I know not to put any thing that looks like a gun, even if it's a small toy model, in my checked luggage and instead just mail it home. If they reacted this way to some small toys, I don't know how they would've reacted to the North Korean flags, pins, books, and postcards. Surely I'd be pulled aside for more questioning.

What a way to end a trip though.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear the story when you were arraving in the beijing station from Dandong, Since it always disorder and confusion in any train station in China, especially in big cities. I am sure you did remember the action of me in any station in beijing with you. I always neglect people who want to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete